Tae Joon Park, also known as Crypto, is a playable Legend in Apex Legends. Framed for corporate espionage and murder, he was forced to abandon his life and identity, becoming Crypto. He competes in the Apex Games under the moniker, "Surveillance Expert."
Name : Crypto
crypto- a combining form meaning “hidden,” “secret,” used in the formation of compound words: cryptograph.
Crypto specializes in secrets; he knows how to uncover them, and how to keep them. A brilliant hacker and encryption expert, he uses aerial drones to spy on his opponents in the Apex Arena without being seen. It’s been noted that his drones have a similar design to those created by wanted murderer Tae Joon Park.
Orphans raised on the streets of Suotamo, Tae Joon and his foster sister Mila Alexander escaped a life of squalor by becoming computer engineers, designing drones that transmit the Apex Games throughout the Outlands. But one day, Tae Joon disappeared with an important company secret, and his sister vanished under mysterious and violent circumstances. However, Crypto claims to have had no contact with Tae Joon, and the case remains unsolved.
Crypto’s motives for joining the Apex Games are almost as mysterious as the man himself. In recent interviews, he claims he is seeking justice – but for what, exactly, remains unknown.
Tactical Ability: Surveillance Drone
Deploy an aerial drone that allows you to view the surrounding area from above. If the drone is destroyed, there is a forty-second cooldown before you can deploy another.
Enemies detected by the Surveillance Drone within 30 meters of your position are marked for you and your teammates to see.
Ultimate Ability: Drone EMP
Your Surveillance Drone sets off an EMP blast that deals shield damage, slows enemies, and disables traps. Crypto takes shield damage from the EMP. Teammates are only slowed.
- Crypto is 31 years old
- Crypto was leaked in a GameStop buyers conference, alongside the Charge Rifle. Prior to this, fans had already found references to Crypto by datamining the game's files.
- His ultimate ability is called, "Drone EMP" which stands for electromagnetic pulse.
- His tactical ability, "Surveillance Drone" is required for his ultimate. If the ability is on cooldown, the player will have to wait until it is available in order to use their ultimate.
- Using his tactical ability makes the player stay still while in use and leaves them highly vulnerable.
- Crypto's drone is named "Hack."
- Crypto's Legendary cosmetic skin "Hype Beast" has been confirmed by writer Tom Casiello to be "his innermost desires come to life. He wants to scream his identity to all within earshot. Because that would mean this nightmare is over."
- Crypto is responsible for destroying the Repulsor tower in King's Canyon, a device that emits high frequencies used by the IMC in order to keep potentially dangerous wildlife away. Local leviathans and flyers from the outskirts of the island moved in upon its destruction, causing a great deal of damage to many of the Island's well-known structures used for the Apex Games.
- Crypto's voice actor, Johnny Young, is an active streamer on Twitch, where he is known to do custom voice lines after the character he plays.
- Crypto owns a data knife.
- Crypto's "Rising Pheonix" Legendary cosmetic is a tactical interpretation of an outfit used in the Korean (both North and South) Lion Dance, meant to rid a location of evil spirits.
- Crypto frequently refers to Mirage as "Kid", although only one year older than him.