Makoa Gibraltar, also known simply by his surname Gibraltar, is a playable Legend in Apex Legends. A Pacific Islander search-and-rescue specialist competing in the Apex Games, his moniker is "Shielded Fortress".
Gibraltar is a gentle giant with a wild side. The son of two SARAS (Search and Rescue Association of Solace) volunteers, he has always been skilled at getting others out of dangerous situations that are common in the Outlands. However, he only began to understand the value of protecting others when he and his boyfriend stole his father’s motorcycle, took it on a joyride, and got trapped by a deadly mudslide. His parents saved them, and his father lost an arm in the process. Gibraltar has never forgotten that sacrifice and has devoted his life to helping those in need.
The Apex Games didn’t change that, but they changed what it meant. Many of Gibraltar’s friends and colleagues have competed in the Games for extra money, fame, and glory over the years, and some never came home. Gibraltar joined to keep them safe and, for the first time, his skills as a rescuer and his rebellious nature worked together. He’s now become an icon in the Apex Games, putting himself in the line of fire to protect his squad and send his opponents running for cover.
Tactical Ability: Dome of Protection
Gibraltar can throw down a dome-shield that blocks all incoming and outgoing attacks for 12 seconds. While inside the dome, you heal 15% faster. Gibraltar is currently the only legend in the game with increased heal speed. Gibraltar also revives faster while in his dome, taking 5 seconds instead of 6!
Passive Ability: Gun Shield
Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.
Ultimate Ability: Defensive Bombardment
Gibraltar can call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position.
- Gilbraltar is 30 years old
- Gibraltar was the first character made for Apex Legends, going through possibly more visual iterations than any other character. He carries much of his design from the military aesthetic of Titanfall 2.
- Gibraltar was initially made Polynesian as a reference to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, as part of a more roundabout reference of his name to the Rock of Gibraltar.
- He was ultimately made to be of nondescript Pacific Islander origin, a conglomerate of the Pacific Islands as a whole and not specifically Polynesian or Maori or Samoan. To that end, he wields a patu or mere (patu made from jade, prestigious and a sign of chieftainship) as one of his weapons of choice. He also dances the haka and is explicitly described as a "warrior, in a lot of ways."
- His kit was made to match his story and presentation as a "shield." He is a warrior and fighter, but first and foremost, he is a "protector."